Having good blood flow throughout your body is very important. Not only will proper circulation ensure that each of your organs are receiving the amount of oxygen and nutrients required to function, but you’ll also be less likely to develop vascular conditions like varicose and spider veins.
Many factors can prevent your blood from circulating properly, like aging, dietary habits, and everyday activities. To help you keep your blood flowing well, we’ve compiled a list of five habits you should try to practice that can help boost circulation.
1. Exercise daily. Keeping your body moving and in shape helps with your circulation tremendously. Whether it’s playing a sport, running, doing yoga or dancing – anything that gets your heart rate up is beneficial. And remember, a little bit of exercise is better than none at all!
2. Stretch your body. Similar to exercise, stretching regularly can help alleviate pressure and tension within your body, boosting blood flow. Try to stretch a little bit each hour, especially if your job requires you to sit at a desk all day.
3. Eat healthy. It’s no surprise that what you eat can have an effect on your circulation, just as your diet affects every other aspect of your health. Sticking to fruits, veggies and lean proteins helps keep your blood flowing smoothly. In addition, spicy foods can help heat up your body temperature and promote circulation as well.
4. Stay hydrated. Your body needs water to function properly, so it makes sense that staying hydrated can help move things along within your circulatory system. The more water you drink, the more oxygenated your blood becomes, and the better it will flow.
5. Take a hot bath. After a long, stressful day of work, a warm bath or shower helps to sooth and relax tense muscles, promoting good circulation. Breathing in shower steam can also help open up your nasal passages, allowing you to breath better, take in more oxygen, and boost blood flow.
Can you think of anymore great healthy habits that keep your blood flowing? We’d love to hear all about them on ourFacebook page!
AtIsland Vein Specialists, we’re committed to providing you with top tips to keep you healthy, happy and confident in your own skin. If you or someone you know is suffering from a vascular condition, Dr. John F. Gallagher offers a wide variety of in-office vein treatment procedures to patients across Long Island, parts of Queens, and the surrounding areas.